Skip to main content

My First Novella; R.I.P. Adam West ‘Batman’

Progress Report



I may be behind in my writing projects but I’m making progress. I just completed writing my first novella last night. It’s a virtual reality-video game sci fi/dark fantasy. Sure, it’s going to need a lot of revising but as many long-time authors will say, one of the most important steps in the fiction writing process is to finish the first draft. A year or two ago, I had started writing a novella but never finished it. I allowed myself to drift away from it and never resumed writing it. Maybe I’ll go back to it someday after revising this new one.

Besides finishing the first draft of my novella, I’ve been working on the cover to the print edition of “Circa Sixty Years Dead”. The illustration, title and byline lettering are all set up since I’m using the same graphics as I did for the ebook edition. But I need to write the back cover summary which shouldn’t take me long. However, I may need to examine a copy of the print edition before I can release it for sale. Amazon would have to send me the copy, or proof as they call it in the publishing industry, which could take a couple of weeks. You really don’t know how good a print book looks until you see it in actuality as opposed to on screen.



Portrait of Adam West in his Batman attire.
Credit: Wikimedia Commons/ABC Studios




Adam West ‘Batman’ Dies at 88


It seems that all year, Hollywood stars have been dying left and right. It may just be that many of them are up there in age and so they are naturally reaching the end of their life spans. Adam West, who was most known for the campy 1960s Batman TV series was one of them. He died at 88 Friday night. It’s hard to believe he was that old. So it was a shock when I saw the news about his death on SpyVibe, a blog that discusses ‘60s espionage fiction in its various mediums (movies, TV, books, etc.). Jason Whiton, the blog host of SpyVibe, has a far out article that pays tribute to Mr. West, which if you grew up watching the ‘60s Batman series like me (even though it was a little before my time, I watched the re-runs weekday afternoons), I strongly suggest you read it. It brought back a lot of the sensations I felt when I watched the series as a kid and so it will probably do the same for you.

Sure, Adam West’s Batman was not your Dark Knight Detective as we know the character today from Christopher Nolan’s movies or Tim Burton’s 1989 cinematic adaptation. But many of us came to know the true Dark Knight, the Gothic super hero, through the campy ‘60s series from when we were kids which therefore served as a starting point. So I owe a lot to Adam West’s Batman since it was what got me started on the Batman character to begin with. If I never watched the TV series, I probably wouldn’t be as much of the Bat fan that I am today.



I just finished reading a good sci fi novel which is nostalgic for the 1970s and millimeter filmmaking of monster movies. It’s called Mr. Fishback’s Monster, by Steve Sabatka, which I’ll try to have a review of here next time.

So, Bat fans, did you grow up watching the ‘60s Batman TV series? If not then what got you started on Batman?

Until next time, same Far Out Fantastic channel . . . !

Comments

  1. Very sad. Yes, I did grow up on watching the cheesy show. Big DC fan, so I took everything I could get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's neat! I would watch every single episode, even the ones I hated. Which is how much I liked Batman and Robin! Lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least better, fi