Skip to main content

‘Valerian’ and San Diego Comic Con ‘Blade Runner 2049’ Promos

I’m submitting my complete file for the print edition of “Circa Sixty Years Dead” early next week. Hopefully it will be available for purchase by Wednesday. I’ll post an update for the release on my Facebook page and definitely here next week. As busy as a weekend it has been, I’m squeesing in some time for a summer sci fi flick—Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.


Valerian




I’m always looking for the Star Wars-type blockbuster each summer and it looks like Valerian could be it. In fact, according to TheHollywood Reporter, it even borrows from Star Wars. However, according to the bulk of critics, it hasn’t been much of a blockbuster on this weekend of its release. But it’s definitely blockbuster-like yet with its own style and vision from its director, Luc Besson, who also directed The Fifth Element back in the ‘90s and look what became of that. It became a cult classic, and hopefully this movie will too. The reason I say that is because the majority of our nation’s population seems to only want to see what mass consumerism demands and so what the majority of people are willing to pay money for. They say “Screw the director’s vision!” This is how Hollywood works, unfortunately. Because of that, a good many films of unique style and vision have been turned down.

Europe’s movie industry has traditionally not been like that, this movie having grown out of France like the comic book series it originates from. Surprise! Not even a European surreal style film can get away from the comic book movie craze of the past 10 years. But I’ll see this new release on the big screen over a Guardians of the Galaxy new release anytime. Yet, hopefully it will stand well on its own while staying faithful to the comic. Not that I’ve read the comic. But if the movie’s really good I may pick up an anthology of reprints of the comic series and read it. If it’s really bad, then I’ll still read the comic because it will probably be better than the movie. Here’s a good article that compares the two. 

Blade Runner 2049 Promos


San Diego Comic Con (which I have not attended any yet) has been doing a lot of promotion of the upcoming Blade Runner sequel, which continues the adventures of Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford) and a new generation’s hero, K (Ryan Gosling), who takes the spotlight in this film. The movie is a sequel to the 1982 original that’s based on Philip K. Dick’s book, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?. I read two interesting articles on the con’s promotion of the movie: one about a VR/ live-performance combo tease, the other about a timeline graph that shows the events between thefirst film and the upcoming one (which is due to release in October). Check them out!



That’s what’s happening this weekend. Next weekend will be two cons which I may or may not go to both but will attend one of them for sure. I’ll talk about that more then along with other topics in sci fi/fantasy reading, writing and viewing.

Do you think Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets is destined to become a cult classic like The Fifth Element?

Do you think the sequel to 1982’s Blade Runner will be good even though it won’t be based directly on Philip K. Dick’s novel (since the novel itself never had a sequel)?

Until next time . . .





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book-To-Movie: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’

Credit: Wikimedia Commons I apologise for posting outside our regular post-day which is late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. However, I got behind on several things last week and so had to postpone the post to today.  I’ve been a reader of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books ever since I was 11. What I’ve always liked so much about the series is that, like a good horror story, the stories often take place in dark settings and involve bizarre cases. Conan Doyle’s novel, “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, definitely contains these elements. It’s a detective story that crosses over into the gothic horror genre. Several movie adaptations of the novel have been made that go as far back as a 1915 German silent film. In 1959 Hammer Studios released a version starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As much as I’m a fan of the Hammer horror films, I have not seen that one yet. The only one that I’ve seen so far is the 1939 adaptation starring that other big name in classic Bri

Book-To-Movie: ‘I Am Legend’

A vampire similar to the ones in 2008's "I Am Legend" which starred Will Smith. Credit: Pixabay.com It’s time for another Book-To-Movie review! In a Book-To-Movie, I review a book and its movie adaptations. This month’s book and its movies based on it is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. While vampires were no longer in in the American pop culture of the the 1950s, science fiction horror in general was. So Matheson’s I Am Legend brought the scientificising of vampires into the pulp literary scene of that era. Not too long after, in the early ‘60s, the first of three book-to-movie adaptions appeared and was renamed The Last Man On Earth which starred Vincent Price. The other two were The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston in the ‘70s and I Am Legend starring Will Smith in the 2001s. Even though each one debunked the myth of the vampire as a supernatural being, each had its own depiction of the creature. ‘I Am Legend’, The Book Set in a near post-apocalyptic fu

Book-To-Movie: Stephen King’s 'The Raft'

Credit: Pixabay.com It's the third Saturday of the month and so that means it's time for another Book-To-Movie ! In a Book-To-Movie we review a book and its movie adaptation. One of the reasons I as a horror fan don’t read a lot of Stephen King’s work is because most of it consists of novels that go more than 400 pages. I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, ironically since I consider myself an avid reader, and so I normally won’t read a work that is much more than the equivalent to a 350-page mass market paperback. The other reason why I don’t read a lot of King’s work is that, as literary scholars will tell you, a lot of his writing is poor. However, he does have some good writing in his works, especially his earlier stuff, including his short horror tales. So if I read anything by Stephen King it’s usually his short stories or novellas. One of his collections I’ve read is Skeleton Crew which includes some of his good, or at least better, fi